Monday, September 21, 2009

So I didn't fall off a mountain

I haven't written in a long time, which must be a good sign, right? Although, ending my last post by saying I am going hiking in the mountains and then failing to write for over a week points towards me cascading to a premature death off a rocky crag more than anything. Well - that did not happen.

Instead, I fell in love with the Sierra Nevada mountains. They are barren and harsh and desolate, but at the same time, there isn't anywhere more alive when its taken in all at once. For me, these mountains epitomize the great outdoors, an overwhelming expanse of nothing and everything at the same time. Golden fields and rolling hills and jagged stone cutting the smooth lines almost violently. It even smelled different - fresher, crisper. I realize I am getting a little poetic but there aren't many places that I've been where I've actually tried to will myself to see farther. It was an intoxicating place.





Jeez, maybe I should get out more often. I'm sure half of you are picturing me weeping silently over my keyboard. You know what? Maybe I am.

But god dammit, those mountains were pretty. I hope I can get back there someday.

So, of course, more has happened since I wrote last. I went to Morocco. But...that should really have it's own blog post...I'll keep you on the edge of your seat for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment